Overview of Fiji Airways Airline
Fiji Airways Credit Card: Fiji Airways is the flag carrier and largest airline in Fiji. The airline operates flights to over 15 destinations in the South Pacific, Asia, North America, and Australia from its hub at Nadi International Airport.
Fiji Airways was founded in 1951 as Air Pacific and rebranded to its current name in 2013. The airline operates a modest fleet of Airbus and Boeing aircraft. It has codeshare agreements with airlines like American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Jetstar, and Qantas.
Fiji Airways has won numerous awards over the years for its service and hospitality. The airline is renowned for its friendly cabin crew and emphasis on promoting the warmth of Fijian culture.
Fiji Airways routes and partnerships
Some of the key routes served by Fiji Airways include:
- Nadi to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Sydney, Auckland, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul
- Nadi to American Samoa, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
- Nadi to Christmas Island, Solomon Islands
Thanks to its partnerships, Fiji Airways can offer connectivity to hundreds of destinations beyond its network. Codesharing and frequent flyer partnerships include:
- American Airlines: Connections across the US and Europe
- Cathay Pacific: Connections across Asia and to Australia
- Qantas: Flights to Australia and New Zealand
- Jetstar: Budget connections in Asia Pacific
This makes the Fiji Airways credit card potentially useful for a wide range of destinations.
The Fiji Airways Credit Card
Fee structure and costs
The Fiji Airways credit card has a $95 annual fee. This is on the lower side for airline credit cards.
It has a standard variable APR which is currently 15.99% – 21.99% depending on your creditworthiness. There are no foreign transaction fees.
As with most other airline cards, there are no mileage earning caps or expiration of miles.
Earning miles and rewards
The Fiji Airways credit card offers 3 miles per $1 spent directly with Fiji Airways. You also earn 1.5 miles per $1 on everyday purchases.
New cardholders can earn a bonus of 50,000 Fiji Airways miles after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days.
As a comparison, here’s how it stacks up for earnings against some other airline cards:
- United Explorer Card: 2x miles on United, 2x on dining and hotels, 1x elsewhere
- Delta SkyMiles Gold AmEx: 2x miles on Delta, 2x on dining and US supermarkets, 1x elsewhere
- Alaska Airlines Visa: 3x miles on Alaska Airlines, 1x elsewhere
So the Fiji Airways card offers a higher earning rate for Fiji Airways purchases specifically. But its everyday earning rate is lower than some competitors.
Card benefits and perks
Benefits of the Fiji Airways credit card include:
- Priority boarding on Fiji Airways flights
- 1 free checked bag for cardholder and companions
- Discounted award flights
- 25% savings on in-flight purchases
- Access to special mileage offers and promotions
There are also standard Visa benefits like rental car insurance, warranties, and protections. But there are no airport lounge access privileges.
Is The Fiji Airways Credit Card Worth It?
Pros of the Fiji Airways credit card
High earnings rate for Fiji Airways flights: The 3x miles are very generous and can add up quickly for frequent Fiji Airways flyers.
Reasonable annual fee: At $95, the annual fee is lower than many other airline cards. It’s easily offset with rewards.
Benefits for award flights: Discounted award flights and access to special promotions provide savings opportunities.
Priority boarding and free checked bag: Valuable perks for airport travel.
Cons to consider
Limited everyday earn rate: The 1.5x miles for non-Fiji Airways spending is lower than some competitors.
No airport lounge access: Cards like the United Explorer offer lounge access, but it’s not a feature of this card.
Niche rewards program: Fiji Airways miles may not be as versatile as currencies like American Airlines or Delta.
Foreign transaction fees: No waived foreign transaction fees, so it’s not ideal for international travel.
Alternatives to compare
The Fiji Airways card is best suited for loyal Fiji Airways customers. But other options to consider include:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: 2x points on travel and dining, broad transfer partners
- Capital One Venture: 2x miles on all purchases, flexible redemptions
- Citi American Airlines Card: Up to 2.8x miles on American Airlines, Admirals Club access
- Delta SkyMiles Gold AmEx: Up to 2x SkyMiles on Delta purchases, airport perks
For United or American Airlines loyalists, their co-branded cards offer more benefits. The Sapphire Preferred is better for flexible travel rewards.
Who Should (And Shouldn’t) Get The Fiji Airways Credit Card
Best for frequent Fiji Airways travelers
The Fiji Airways credit card is most valuable if you fly Fiji Airways regularly throughout the year. Perks like:
- 3x miles for Fiji Airways purchases
- Free checked bag
- Priority boarding
Will provide the most value to compensate for the $95 annual fee.
It can also be worthwhile if you take several long-haul Fiji Airways flights per year and want to rack up miles quickly.
Not ideal for infrequent travelers
If you only take an occasional trip on Fiji Airways every few years, the card is harder to justify. You likely won’t earn enough rewards to offset the annual fee.
It’s also not as well-suited if you want transferable rewards to frequent flyer programs. Cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred offer more flexibility.
For international travelers, there are better options without foreign transaction fees too.
H2: Tips For Getting The Most From The Fiji Airways Credit Card
Strategies to maximize rewards
Here are some ways to get the most from the Fiji Airways credit card:
- Use for Fiji Airways spending: Obvious, but essential to maximize the 3x miles rate. Use for tickets, in-flight purchases, fees, etc.
- Meet minimum spends with Fiji Airways purchases: Knock out minimum spend bonuses efficiently.
- Book award flights at the discounted rate: Take advantage of lower mileage costs only available to cardholders.
- Stack bonuses and promotions: Watch for special mileage offers and limited-time bonuses to combine with your normal earnings.
- Refer friends: Referring others can net up to 20,000 bonus miles.
Ways to offset the annual fee
To counter the $95 annual fee:
- Earn the 50,000 mile bonus within the first 3 months
- Use the annual companion fare discount or other offers
- Take advantage of the 25% savings on in-flight purchases
- Book at least one award flight at the discounted rate
Using miles efficiently
It’s smart to use Fiji Airways miles strategically for maximum value:
- Avoid blackout dates: Book far in advance to access more reward availability.
- Upgrade with miles: Use miles to upgrade seats rather than paying cash.
- Fly partner airlines: Redeem miles for reward seats on partner airlines like American, Jetstar, or Cathay Pacific.
- Use for hotels and car rentals: Miles can also be redeemed for hotels, rental cars, and other services.
- Top-off accounts: Transfer miles to friends/family to help them book an award sooner.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimum credit score needed for the Fiji Airways credit card?
Fiji Airways does not disclose the minimum credit score requirement, but you will likely need a score of at least 670 based on other Visa cards. A good or excellent credit score will increase your chances of approval.
Does the Fiji Airways credit card waive checked bag fees?
Yes, the Fiji Airways credit card allows the primary cardholder and up to 8 companions on the same reservation to check one bag for free. This perk alone can save $30 per bag, per flight.
What types of purchases earn 3x miles with the Fiji Airways card?
Purchases directly made with Fiji Airways earn the highest 3x mile rate, including airfare, seat upgrades, baggage fees, in-flight food/beverages, Fiji vacation packages, and more.
Can I earn a welcome offer if I’m an existing Fiji Airways cardholder?
Unfortunately, welcome offers are only available to new Fiji Airways credit card applicants. Existing cardholders are not eligible if they have received a bonus in the past 24 months.
Does the Fiji Airways credit card offer lounge access?
No, the Fiji Airways credit card does not provide complimentary airport lounge access. Cards like the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard offer lounge access as a key benefit.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
The Fiji Airways credit card can be extremely rewarding if you fly Fiji Airways frequently throughout the year. Perks like priority boarding, free checked bags, and earning 3x miles make it worth the $95 annual fee for regular customers. But it does lack some luxuries like airport lounge privileges.
The up to 50,000 mile sign-up bonus and ability to earn miles quickly on Fiji Airways fares make it appealing for new applications too. Just be sure to evaluate your travel habits, as cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred could be a better fit depending on your spending and redemption goals. But for Fiji Airways loyalists who regularly visit the South Pacific, this co-branded airline card should deliver significant value.
He is the founder and owner of Ventures Money, a leading finance and investment website. With over 10 years of experience in the finance industry, Mustafa is passionate about helping everyday investors make smart decisions with their money.
After getting a lot of experience, Mustafa worked at several top investment banks before deciding to launch this site. His goal was to create an approachable, jargon-free resource for investing advice and market analysis.
Under Mustafa’s leadership, Ventures Money has become one of the most trusted sites for investment strategies, stock research, and personal finance tips. Every day, Mustafa and his team of finance experts work hard to break down complex financial topics into clear, actionable guidance.
When he’s not busy running Ventures Money, Mustafa enjoys spending time with his family, staying active outdoors, and learning about the latest innovations in finance tech. He lives in India with his family including his wife and one child.